Are you inspired by “what’s next”? So are we.
When you join the Albemarle team, you contribute to a better tomorrow. You will play a role in powering many of the world’s largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. We are putting innovation to work to improve people’s lives and we want YOU to be a part of it.
Company and Job Overview
Albemarle Corporation, headquartered in Charlotte, NC, is a leading global producer of lithium, bromine, and catalyst solutions. As a world leader in lithium, our products enable the rapid growth in lithium batteries that power everything from pacemakers to cell phones, to electric vehicles. Our unique natural resource position, global derivatization capabilities and technology leadership allow Albemarle to execute an aggressive growth strategy. Join us to help develop the technologies and materials that will accelerate the electrification revolution.
Located at Albemarle’s Technical Center near Charlotte, NC, the “Analytical Research Scientist” position is part of the fast-growing Lithium Research & Development group. The candidate will join an innovative and energetic team and will be responsible for designing and performing materials analysis to help advance or develop new battery materials. The candidate must select or develop the appropriate analytical technique(s), interpret the resulting data, and clearly communicate the outcomes to the materials development team. In addition, the candidate will perform post-mortem materials analyses of lithium-ion battery cells in collaboration with the battery group to aid in mechanistic understanding of performance. The ability to collaborate and communicate across multiple groups and projects, internal and external to Albemarle, is a must.
- Provide technical leadership on structural and chemical characterization of cathodes, anodes, and electrolyte salts
- Develop and apply quantitative techniques to correlate chemical and physical properties of cathodes, anodes, and electrolyte salts to electrochemical performance
- Develop analytical methods and write Standard Operating Procedures
- Interpret data and clearly communicate the results to the materials development team
- Perform root-cause analysis of materials characteristics
- Maintain multiple instruments and arrange service and repairs as necessary
- Interact with project engineers to enable purchase, installation, and commissioning of new instrumentation
- Prepare reports and take the initiative to discuss results with the manager and the team
- Practice good laboratory procedures in compliance with Corporate HS&E policy and maintain a safe lab environment
- Ph.D. degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, or other related scientific disciplines with minimum 2 years of experience in materials characterization
- Strong analytical, experimental design, and problem-solving skills
- Hands-on experience with XRD (Rietveld refinement & quantitative analysis), Thermal analysis (TGA-DSC), SEM-EDS, EBSD, Argon ion milling, BET analyzer, Spectroscopies (FTIR, Raman, UV-Vis), and PSD via laser diffraction
- Familiar with glovebox operation and handling air sensitive and/or pyrophoric materials
- Experienced with Li-ion battery post-mortem analyses
- Familiar with wet chemical analysis, including pH, conductivity, titrimetry, and moisture analysis (KF)
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Able to prioritize and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment
- High attention to detail, accuracy and precision in experimental design and analysis of results
- Excellent communication skills and able to translate technical jargons to plain language for wider audience
- Competent with Microsoft Office programs and other data analysis software such as Origin Pro or Minitab
- Experienced with imaging data analysis and visualization software
- Must be able to remain in a stationary standing or sitting position for 50% or more of the time
- Must be able to physically operate all equipment and instruments within the lab
- Must use dexterity to handle small and delicate lab equipment
- Must be able to lift and carry 15-20 pounds
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today.
total views = int(25)